Havildar Hangpan Dada was posthumously awarded with the highest gallantry award “Ashok Chakra” by the President Pranab Mukherjee of India for his bravado. Do you know about him or his brave story? If not, let’s know about
Havildar Hangpan Dada :-
- Havildar Hangpan Dada was a soldier in the Assam Regiment (35 Rashtriya Rifles) of the Indian Army.
- He alone killed four terrorists at 13,000 feet near Jammu and Kashmir along the LOC on May 26, 2016.
- While fighting terrorists near Jammu and Kashmir on the same day, he sacrificed his life.
Havildar Hangpan Dada’s Bravado :-
- On May 26, 2016, Havildar Hangpan Dada, as post commander of 35 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) Assam Regiment, received orders from his commanding officer to block four infiltrators at 13,000 feet in the Shamshabri Ranges in Naugam near Jammu and Kashmir.
- Dada with his exceptional understanding of the high altitude terrain spotted the movement of hiding terrorist and surprised the by blocking their escape route.
- Afterward, He led heavy attack on the terrorists. He shot two of the terrorists on the spot. He spotted the other two terrorists who were hidden behind boulders and lunged at one.
- Dada and one of the terrorists were locked in hand-to hand scuffle, slipping and sliding down the hill, till he killed him.
- The terrorist was finally killed but Havildar Hangpan Dada too succumbed to his injuries. “Dada single-handedly killed three terrorists and his action led to abolition of the fourth terrorist in the operation,”
In an official documentary by the Army on “Havildar Hangpan Dada”, his friend Lance Havildar Vareshang remembers the night of May 26, mentioned, “It was turning dark but Dada kept motivating us to look for the remaining terrorists.’We have to hunt them down’.
From the incomparable story and bravery of Dada, we can all agree to Col Manish Aggarwal’s words that, “Dada was no ordinary soldier. He was exceptional.” He defiantly was.